Lately swimming is a lot more painful - cant figure out why?

I have been swimming for 40 years (I'm now 52). I regularly attend masters swim practice (3 X week). Recently, I have been struggling a lot in practice when I try to push myself at 90% or on harder efforts. I feel incredibly fatigued even in a short sprint like a 100 I.M. I feel very comfortable swimming at 80% effort for a really long time but as soon as I push myself a little more the wheels fall off in a big way, and I don't recover very well. I have been to the doctor to get checked out and had my blood work...everything is great. I'm wondering if this is just age or maybe my diet is affecting me?? I have not made any changes. Has anyone else around my age experienced this? Thanks.
Parents
  • Thank you. I appreciate the response. Although, it is kind of scary. I don't have any issues going up and down stairs (in fact, I run a few days a week and feel okay) or angina or the other symptoms you mentioned. However, I'm going to see my doctor anyway just in case. Do you remember what the "markers" you mentioned were?
  • Thank you. I appreciate the response. Although, it is kind of scary. I don't have any issues going up and down stairs (in fact, I run a few days a week and feel okay) or angina or the other symptoms you mentioned. However, I'm going to see my doctor anyway just in case. Do you remember what the "markers" you mentioned were?
Children
No Data