Lately swimming is a lot more painful - cant figure out why?

I have been swimming for 40 years (I'm now 52). I regularly attend masters swim practice (3 X week). Recently, I have been struggling a lot in practice when I try to push myself at 90% or on harder efforts. I feel incredibly fatigued even in a short sprint like a 100 I.M. I feel very comfortable swimming at 80% effort for a really long time but as soon as I push myself a little more the wheels fall off in a big way, and I don't recover very well. I have been to the doctor to get checked out and had my blood work...everything is great. I'm wondering if this is just age or maybe my diet is affecting me?? I have not made any changes. Has anyone else around my age experienced this? Thanks.
Parents
  • What you describe sounds similar to what I experienced a while back: swimming 3X a week, lifting 2X. I could swim at a moderate effort all day, but going all out was a quick way to gasping for air at the wall (quicker than normal). I mentioned this to my GP, and had a "physical" and blood work. Doc told me everything was good. Two months later I had a heart attack. Clogged arteries. Three stents later I was back at it, and 5 years down the road I just had a stress test, and everything's still good. Swimming helped minimize the damage. The typical blood test won't catch it, but there are markers in the blood they can look for, or a stress test; ECG will show it, or tracer dye in the blood. Do you get short of breath climbing a flight or two of stairs, excess saliva production when you warm up, any angina? Pain is not always a symptom. It may not be, but it sounds like what I went through. The point is, challenge your doc to help you figure it out. Even if it's something simple like overtraining, you'll know, and can act accordingly.
  • What you describe sounds similar to what I experienced a while back: swimming 3X a week, lifting 2X. I could swim at a moderate effort all day, but going all out was a quick way to gasping for air at the wall (quicker than normal). I mentioned this to my GP, and had a "physical" and blood work. Doc told me everything was good. Two months later I had a heart attack. Clogged arteries. Three stents later I was back at it, and 5 years down the road I just had a stress test, and everything's still good. Swimming helped minimize the damage. The typical blood test won't catch it, but there are markers in the blood they can look for, or a stress test; ECG will show it, or tracer dye in the blood. Do you get short of breath climbing a flight or two of stairs, excess saliva production when you warm up, any angina? Pain is not always a symptom. It may not be, but it sounds like what I went through. The point is, challenge your doc to help you figure it out. Even if it's something simple like overtraining, you'll know, and can act accordingly.
Children
No Data