Army Combat Fitness Test 1K Meter Swim

The Army Combat Fitness Test consisting of six events will be official for all Soldiers in October. Soldiers who are limited from performing the 2 mile run due to a documented medical condition may perform one of three alternate cardio events in lieu of the 2 mile run. One of the alternate cardio events is a 1,000 meter swim in 25 minutes. The swim would be performed 10 minutes after the 3 rep maximum deadlift and the sprint, drag, carry event. What do you recommend as a training and conditioning program for the 1K meter swim? More info on the swim event here https://youtu.be/C22lSycp21g
Parents
  • Wow...1000 meters!?!?!? In the Navy the alternative to the 1.5 mile run is a 500yd/450m swim. What are the other alternatives to the run? As a former fitness test coordinator in the Navy, what I would suggest is that if you're not a swimmer to consider one of the other alternatives. I once had a couple of young guys who were generally in pretty good shape. They were weight room rats, jogged a bit, and always chose to do the 1.5 mile run for their semi-annual test. And, they always passed scoring well above average. Then one test cycle they came to me and said they were going to do the 500yd swim. I advised against it because although they were in good physical shape...they were not swimmers. They could swim leisurely, but they were far from the kind of swimming it takes to get through a 500 yard swim in even an easy 12:00 minutes max time for their age group. They thought they could 'muscle their way through it.' Well, after just one lap of the pool it was clear that they were NOT going to finish within the maximum time allowed and fail miserably. It was the last day of the testing cycle and consequently they got put on remedial fitness training for six months. Dan
  • Wow...1000 meters!?!?!? In the Navy the alternative to the 1.5 mile run is a 500yd/450m swim. What are the other alternatives to the run? As a former fitness test coordinator in the Navy, what I would suggest is that if you're not a swimmer to consider one of the other alternatives. I once had a couple of young guys who were generally in pretty good shape. They were weight room rats, jogged a bit, and always chose to do the 1.5 mile run for their semi-annual test. And, they always passed scoring well above average. Then one test cycle they came to me and said they were going to do the 500yd swim. I advised against it because although they were in good physical shape...they were not swimmers. They could swim leisurely, but they were far from the kind of swimming it takes to get through a 500 yard swim in even an easy 12:00 minutes max time for their age group. They thought they could 'muscle their way through it.' Well, after just one lap of the pool it was clear that they were NOT going to finish within the maximum time allowed and fail miserably. It was the last day of the testing cycle and consequently they got put on remedial fitness training for six months. Dan
Children
No Data