Army Combat Fitness Test 1K Meter Swim

The Army Combat Fitness Test consisting of six events will be official for all Soldiers in October. Soldiers who are limited from performing the 2 mile run due to a documented medical condition may perform one of three alternate cardio events in lieu of the 2 mile run. One of the alternate cardio events is a 1,000 meter swim in 25 minutes. The swim would be performed 10 minutes after the 3 rep maximum deadlift and the sprint, drag, carry event. What do you recommend as a training and conditioning program for the 1K meter swim? More info on the swim event here https://youtu.be/C22lSycp21g
Parents
  • The Army Combat Fitness Test consisting of six events will be official for all Soldiers in October. Soldiers who are limited from performing the 2 mile run due to a documented medical condition may perform one of three alternate cardio events in lieu of the 2 mile run. One of the alternate cardio events is a 1,000 meter swim in 25 minutes. The swim would be performed 10 minutes after the 3 rep maximum deadlift and the sprint, drag, carry event. What do you recommend as a training and conditioning program for the 1K meter swim? More info on the swim event here https://youtu.be/C22lSycp21g Thanks for your service! Are you just trying to pass, or are you trying to get a 100 on the cardio portion of the PT test? If you are trying to just pass, I think just getting in the water when you can will be immensely helpful. Try to get your DPS better and better (count your strokes, you want a lower number). Watch videos on proper technique. If there is a Masters program near you, I would see if there is any way you can swim with them some. If you can't, but there a club, see if the coach would be willing to work with you privately. Anecdotal, I had been just doing lap swims for a few months when I tried my first mile, which I did in 28 minutes. So the bar isn't that high. But it does take time. MOst beneficial thing for you would be to work on technique. That DPS will be a very good guide, IMHO, for measuring how that is doing. If you can't joina team, watch videos online. I like Gary Hall's "The Race CLub" stuff, he explains things well......well, for me, anyway, as I'm an engineer and think more tecnhically so his explanations make sense. Now, if you are striving to get a 100, that's a-whole-nother ball of wax. I'm going off of memory, but when I was 18, a 100 on the 2 mile run was 11:54. So if I extrapolate that out, that tells me that the 1000 meter swim is going to be notably faster than the run of the mill high school swimmers who aren't also year round swimmers (i was one of two guys on our Ranger Challenge team who could routinely run that fast, out of about 20 guys). For that, you will need to train wiht your heart rate a whole lot more elevated. One of my favorite main sets is 40 50's with a 20 second rest interval. I try to do it at a pace more in line with a 200 yard race, though the set was made for working on 500. My heart rate hits around 180 during that set. I'm not saying to do that set, I'm saying find a set that lets you train at an elevated heart rate for extended periods. There are a whole lot of people on here a lot smarter than me, so if other folks give you other advice, I'd look that way.
  • The Army Combat Fitness Test consisting of six events will be official for all Soldiers in October. Soldiers who are limited from performing the 2 mile run due to a documented medical condition may perform one of three alternate cardio events in lieu of the 2 mile run. One of the alternate cardio events is a 1,000 meter swim in 25 minutes. The swim would be performed 10 minutes after the 3 rep maximum deadlift and the sprint, drag, carry event. What do you recommend as a training and conditioning program for the 1K meter swim? More info on the swim event here https://youtu.be/C22lSycp21g Thanks for your service! Are you just trying to pass, or are you trying to get a 100 on the cardio portion of the PT test? If you are trying to just pass, I think just getting in the water when you can will be immensely helpful. Try to get your DPS better and better (count your strokes, you want a lower number). Watch videos on proper technique. If there is a Masters program near you, I would see if there is any way you can swim with them some. If you can't, but there a club, see if the coach would be willing to work with you privately. Anecdotal, I had been just doing lap swims for a few months when I tried my first mile, which I did in 28 minutes. So the bar isn't that high. But it does take time. MOst beneficial thing for you would be to work on technique. That DPS will be a very good guide, IMHO, for measuring how that is doing. If you can't joina team, watch videos online. I like Gary Hall's "The Race CLub" stuff, he explains things well......well, for me, anyway, as I'm an engineer and think more tecnhically so his explanations make sense. Now, if you are striving to get a 100, that's a-whole-nother ball of wax. I'm going off of memory, but when I was 18, a 100 on the 2 mile run was 11:54. So if I extrapolate that out, that tells me that the 1000 meter swim is going to be notably faster than the run of the mill high school swimmers who aren't also year round swimmers (i was one of two guys on our Ranger Challenge team who could routinely run that fast, out of about 20 guys). For that, you will need to train wiht your heart rate a whole lot more elevated. One of my favorite main sets is 40 50's with a 20 second rest interval. I try to do it at a pace more in line with a 200 yard race, though the set was made for working on 500. My heart rate hits around 180 during that set. I'm not saying to do that set, I'm saying find a set that lets you train at an elevated heart rate for extended periods. There are a whole lot of people on here a lot smarter than me, so if other folks give you other advice, I'd look that way.
Children
No Data