Highest yearly swim totals

One of our swimmers on the Elgin Blue Wave Masters team brought up a guy who swims 14,000 yards a day each and every day to achieve his yearly total. I find this really difficult to comprehend. Has anyone heard of such swimmers?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    So true, Calvin. My club program was insane yardage probably to everyone's detriment in some ways, my college program was a mix of fast swims and the necessary grunt work for the distance crew (I was a 200 BR, 500/1000/1650 person depending on the year). I think that has informed how I write workouts for myself and when occasionally help out with the local middle school team. The short stuff and constant working on technique is just so important... Also- loved looking at your blog! Will definitely be stealing some workouts. I am in a weird spot where my current masters team is a pretty poor fit for me- no one else really near my base time (one guy but we are very different swimmers) and never ever do we do stroke or technique or race pace or really anything other than aerobic repeats. Swimming on my own is fine but I just really wish I could workout with a local club or college team- but that would just be weird as an old lady. Do your athletes mind you being there? If you didn't have the prior coaching connection with them, would you pursue swimming with a group like that?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    So true, Calvin. My club program was insane yardage probably to everyone's detriment in some ways, my college program was a mix of fast swims and the necessary grunt work for the distance crew (I was a 200 BR, 500/1000/1650 person depending on the year). I think that has informed how I write workouts for myself and when occasionally help out with the local middle school team. The short stuff and constant working on technique is just so important... Also- loved looking at your blog! Will definitely be stealing some workouts. I am in a weird spot where my current masters team is a pretty poor fit for me- no one else really near my base time (one guy but we are very different swimmers) and never ever do we do stroke or technique or race pace or really anything other than aerobic repeats. Swimming on my own is fine but I just really wish I could workout with a local club or college team- but that would just be weird as an old lady. Do your athletes mind you being there? If you didn't have the prior coaching connection with them, would you pursue swimming with a group like that?
Children
No Data