Highest yearly swim totals

One of our swimmers on the Elgin Blue Wave Masters team brought up a guy who swims 14,000 yards a day each and every day to achieve his yearly total. I find this really difficult to comprehend. Has anyone heard of such swimmers?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    There was a 2015 Sorts Illustrated article about Michael Phelps. It's really long, but when it got to distance numbers, it said his 2002 to 2008 workouts were about 85,000M or more per week. That's 53 miles a week. More than a marathon a day. 2800 miles per year. www.si.com/.../michael-phelps-rehabilitation-rio-2016 (long article, but pretty good) It said that Phelps before 2012 was typically missing 2 days a week. Part of the deal he made with his coach to come back in 2016 was that he would make all the workouts, but they would only be 50- 60 km per week. After I read that article, I was coming on her with a bug up my butt about overtraining. In part, because I blew out a shoulder overtraining (or at least ramping up too quickly) when I turned 60 in 2013, but partly with this idea: If the guy who is best in the world (by far) could do it in 30 miles a week, why would ANYONE do 50 miles? I still think there are potential champs who drop out because the good programs won't deal with people who resist overtraining.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    There was a 2015 Sorts Illustrated article about Michael Phelps. It's really long, but when it got to distance numbers, it said his 2002 to 2008 workouts were about 85,000M or more per week. That's 53 miles a week. More than a marathon a day. 2800 miles per year. www.si.com/.../michael-phelps-rehabilitation-rio-2016 (long article, but pretty good) It said that Phelps before 2012 was typically missing 2 days a week. Part of the deal he made with his coach to come back in 2016 was that he would make all the workouts, but they would only be 50- 60 km per week. After I read that article, I was coming on her with a bug up my butt about overtraining. In part, because I blew out a shoulder overtraining (or at least ramping up too quickly) when I turned 60 in 2013, but partly with this idea: If the guy who is best in the world (by far) could do it in 30 miles a week, why would ANYONE do 50 miles? I still think there are potential champs who drop out because the good programs won't deal with people who resist overtraining.
Children
No Data