Need advice on single-arm strokes

Thanks to cervical spine issues, I can't use my left arm for repetitive overhead movements. I'm interested in advice on which strokes might be possible with one arm. My goal is an aerobic/anaerobic heart rate for an hour, not elapsed time per distance. I'd also be interested in any reference material. Kicking for 2000 yards is becoming boring. Don P
Parents
  • During shoulder surgery recovery I spent a few months swimming 1 arm freestyle. Just basic freestyle movements, rotation, and kick, breathing to side of static arm which dragged along by the side. Sometimes I used a front mounted snorkel, that made it easier. Swimming like this really brought up the heart rate, encourages rotation, and can spark life into a lazy kick. On a cautionary side, it can place more load on the working shoulder - don’t want to injure the one good swimming arm available. I would typically swim sets of 25’s - 100’s. I am familiar with the combat stroke but I have not tried it with one arm. If it does work it will likely be slower than 1 arm free
  • During shoulder surgery recovery I spent a few months swimming 1 arm freestyle. Just basic freestyle movements, rotation, and kick, breathing to side of static arm which dragged along by the side. Sometimes I used a front mounted snorkel, that made it easier. Swimming like this really brought up the heart rate, encourages rotation, and can spark life into a lazy kick. On a cautionary side, it can place more load on the working shoulder - don’t want to injure the one good swimming arm available. I would typically swim sets of 25’s - 100’s. I am familiar with the combat stroke but I have not tried it with one arm. If it does work it will likely be slower than 1 arm free
Children
No Data