Swim vs gym - striking a balance

Former Member
Former Member
I've (M55) started adding gym twice a week (evenings) to my regular early morning swim sessions. I do a session based loosely around the jason lezak video (www.bodybuilding.com/.../weight-training-for-sprint-swimmers.html) with some core work and pressups. The full session including stretching takes about one hour twenty minutes. I'm usually knackered after it. I'm still pretty tired the following day and DOMS kicking in on the second day, so consequently my pool work isn't at the same level it would normally be, think less of USRPT and more long distance plod at an easy pace. So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers? I realise I'm not 16 anymore, but I was never very strong, so I feel that the extra strength from gym work should be beneficial. I'm a middle distance freestyler if that make any difference. My morning swim sessions are around 90 mins. Thanks.
Parents
  • Close to same age (52). I do 2x a week weight-lifting heavy and 4x a week swimming. Never on the same day. I discovered that if I try to lift after swimming (I swim mornings and lift afternoons) I couldn't lift anything upper body. FWIW, I started this due to an issue I had with lower back pain in marathon swims. I'm no podium placer; my 10K average is around 4 hours. I'm a plodder. So I can't say the lifting has improved my marathons, BUT it sure has taken care of my lower back. I can go long w/o back pain now. Longest I've gone straight is now in the 7+ hour range. All due to lifting. Plus the lifting had "tightened" my body up that my wife is very complimentary, which sure makes me happy. Frankly, so many studies have shown that lifting is great for us past the half-century mark that that alone is a reason to do some weight-bearing exercise.
  • Close to same age (52). I do 2x a week weight-lifting heavy and 4x a week swimming. Never on the same day. I discovered that if I try to lift after swimming (I swim mornings and lift afternoons) I couldn't lift anything upper body. FWIW, I started this due to an issue I had with lower back pain in marathon swims. I'm no podium placer; my 10K average is around 4 hours. I'm a plodder. So I can't say the lifting has improved my marathons, BUT it sure has taken care of my lower back. I can go long w/o back pain now. Longest I've gone straight is now in the 7+ hour range. All due to lifting. Plus the lifting had "tightened" my body up that my wife is very complimentary, which sure makes me happy. Frankly, so many studies have shown that lifting is great for us past the half-century mark that that alone is a reason to do some weight-bearing exercise.
Children
No Data