Swimming Longer Less Often Vs. Swimming Shorter More Often

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, I would like to get your opinions on this. I live in the country in Montana, and during cold-weather months can only get to the pool twice-to-four-times a month. When I told my wife I was planning on swimming once every other week for 3 hours each time, she said it would be better for my body to swim every week for 1.5 hours each time. Which one of us is right? Happy swimming!
Parents
  • Unfortunately, frequency is FAR more important than duration. The more often you can get to the pool, the more successful you will be. I'm a 57 year old newbie swimmer. I've struggled with this topic for the 8-9 months that I have been swimming, and I've come to the conclusion that FOR ME, 5x a week is a really good thing, but the sessions are generally on the short side....ie 1200m to 2000m total. This might change for me later on. Maybe I'll want to try 3x3km sessions per week. But at this early stage, I feel that 2-3days off in a row really gets to me....I seem to lose "feel" for the water very quickly. +1 on valuing frequency, so for the original post, I'd vote for 1.5 hours every week ... but, even better, can you get to the pool twice a week and go for an hour each time? To Skuj's last point, you lose your feel for the water pretty quickly. When I'm training for racing, I try to never take more than 1 day out of the pool; this still might mean that in a week I swim 4-5 times, but I would do it as MWFSunday swim, TTHSaturday off.
  • Unfortunately, frequency is FAR more important than duration. The more often you can get to the pool, the more successful you will be. I'm a 57 year old newbie swimmer. I've struggled with this topic for the 8-9 months that I have been swimming, and I've come to the conclusion that FOR ME, 5x a week is a really good thing, but the sessions are generally on the short side....ie 1200m to 2000m total. This might change for me later on. Maybe I'll want to try 3x3km sessions per week. But at this early stage, I feel that 2-3days off in a row really gets to me....I seem to lose "feel" for the water very quickly. +1 on valuing frequency, so for the original post, I'd vote for 1.5 hours every week ... but, even better, can you get to the pool twice a week and go for an hour each time? To Skuj's last point, you lose your feel for the water pretty quickly. When I'm training for racing, I try to never take more than 1 day out of the pool; this still might mean that in a week I swim 4-5 times, but I would do it as MWFSunday swim, TTHSaturday off.
Children
No Data