Local Pool Closing, Need Ideas for Once Per Week Training

Former Member
Former Member
A whole drama has unfolded locally regarding the construction / remodel of the local aquatic center, but that is a different story. The result is that the local indoor lap pool will close for construction and remodel November 27, 2019 and won't reopen until Spring 2021 (not a typo, freaking 2021). The closest indoor lap pool is 74 miles away. Logistically and time wise, I can make that trip only once per week. With that trip I get a 3-4 hour window to swim. I am looking for some ideas on how to structure workouts effectively. ​ About me: I am triathlete, so my focus is on front crawl and Olympic (1500 meters) and Half Iron (1950 meters) distance. Normally, I swim 2-3 times a week for 1:20 or so. Before you ask. 1. No, I cannot invest $20,000 in a swim spa. 2. No, I really can't make more than one trip. 3. We have winter here, so there are zero year round outdoor pools. 4. Likewise, with winter, swimming open water is not really an option until late spring at the earliest.
  • Wow, that situation sucks royally! That is a long time for a "remodel." My only suggestion is that maybe you can find another swimmer locally who could share the driving with you to the 74-mile away pool. And/or...maybe find a cheap hotel, or Airbnb accommodations near that pool and once a month you could get two workouts in one trip doing a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday. Dan
  • I have been in a similar but not as extreme situation. Have you tried the Rogue or assault air bikes?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    ForceDJ, thank you for replying. Those are some interesting idea. You are correct, that timeline is crazy, but the issue is budgeting one. The bids all came in high, so they are using the 2020 operating budget to add to the construction budget. I am just not sure how to structure a workout. I can wing it, but was seeing if anyone had some thoughts.
  • Have you looked into LA Fitness or Lifetime Fitness if you have them near you? Many times, one of those will have small pools. Where do you live? The hotel is a good idea. Even if they don't have a lap pool, per se, you can get a swim tether and attach it somewhere. It's not fun, but it serves it's purpose for getting movement and technique.
  • The hotel is a good idea. Even if they don't have a lap pool, per se, you can get a swim tether and attach it somewhere. It's not fun, but it serves it's purpose for getting movement and technique. Oh...my suggestion about a hotel wasn't necessarily to use their pool for a tethered swim. I was suggesting that they drive to the distant pool on a Friday, get a workout in a the pool that evening. Spend the night in the hotel and then get another workout in early Saturday before heading back home. Two workouts in one 75-mile trip. But...the tethered swim is another good idea.
  • Former Member
    There is no gym like that here, the town is 20,000 population. There may be a an option for a swim tether. Some of the aqua aerobics people were talking about using a hotel pool. I will need to reconoiter the logistics of that. Have you looked into LA Fitness or Lifetime Fitness if you have them near you? Many times, one of those will have small pools. Where do you live? The hotel is a good idea. Even if they don't have a lap pool, per se, you can get a swim tether and attach it somewhere. It's not fun, but it serves it's purpose for getting movement and technique.
  • Former Member
    1. I just bought a treadmill, so not looking at purchasing equipment. 2. Candidly, that device is kind of a joke.
  • Former Member
    Have you thought of moving to the "bigger city" or even to a spot half way between your smaller city and the city with a pool?
  • At least swimming infrequent is better than nothing. Maybe focus more on drills, video, and technique feedback