A question about technique vs strength

Former Member
Former Member
For a 54-year old (that's me), which is more critical to limit the potential swim speed between flawed technique and unathletic strength? Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient.
Parents
  • I swim solo, but mostly not alone in the pool. So I observe and chat with a few others. However, I rarely see them specifically work on technique. I personally feel that I shouldn't ingrain my flawed technique by repeating it over and over. But I also want to get fitter, so a little dilemma. Work on your technique first. Slow down if you need to. Watch videos, I love watching Gary Hall Sr's videos. While working on technique, use DPS as a surrogate to measure performance. On my distance tempo stuff, my DPS has improved over 40% in the couple of years since I started. You'll get to a point where you feel your stroke going to crap.
  • I swim solo, but mostly not alone in the pool. So I observe and chat with a few others. However, I rarely see them specifically work on technique. I personally feel that I shouldn't ingrain my flawed technique by repeating it over and over. But I also want to get fitter, so a little dilemma. Work on your technique first. Slow down if you need to. Watch videos, I love watching Gary Hall Sr's videos. While working on technique, use DPS as a surrogate to measure performance. On my distance tempo stuff, my DPS has improved over 40% in the couple of years since I started. You'll get to a point where you feel your stroke going to crap.
Children
No Data