A question about technique vs strength

Former Member
Former Member
For a 54-year old (that's me), which is more critical to limit the potential swim speed between flawed technique and unathletic strength? Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient.
Parents
  • Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient. Are you swimming with a team, or solo? I swim solo, following workouts posted here. My observation is exactly like yours, most people just swim laps. I have tried to give pointers to a few who I have gotten to know over seeing them at the pool constantly. A couple are triathletes, so they are open to instruction. Most just want to burn calories. At the end of hte day, I have found that I have to make my own yardstick. Biggest ones are times I can hit intervals on and stroke efficiency (DPS). I find that the two will come together. A good efficient technique absolutely requires good strength. Maintaining it requires stamina. Be patient, it will come, but it will take a couple of years.
  • Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient. Are you swimming with a team, or solo? I swim solo, following workouts posted here. My observation is exactly like yours, most people just swim laps. I have tried to give pointers to a few who I have gotten to know over seeing them at the pool constantly. A couple are triathletes, so they are open to instruction. Most just want to burn calories. At the end of hte day, I have found that I have to make my own yardstick. Biggest ones are times I can hit intervals on and stroke efficiency (DPS). I find that the two will come together. A good efficient technique absolutely requires good strength. Maintaining it requires stamina. Be patient, it will come, but it will take a couple of years.
Children
No Data