Qs about interval training for open water races

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, In preparation for a 6k race next year, I've changed my training plan to interval training 3 days a week, Mo (20*100m), We (10*200m), Fr (5*400m). Currently I keep lowering the time it takes to swim one repetition. I have two main questions: is this a good strategy, to lower the time/ interval until I achieve a desired pace and after that to increase the number of repetions, aiming for race distance? What would be a better approach? For these 3 days of interval training, should I keep 100m/ 200m/ 400m intervals or should I increase to 200m/400m/800m? A better option? Cheers, Adrian
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    A few questions: Are you only swimming 3 days a week? I'm swimming 5 days a week, two of which are drills and leg work, and mostly unstructured (yet!). Any advice of what to do in these 2 days (Tu, Th)? I thought that doing interval training every day would soon become boring and I could use one day in between to relax. Is this your main set? Those are my main sets, yes. I changed Fridays with 3*800m. How much total volume in meters are you doing each workout? Each week? As for volume/ workout is 2k/2k/2.4k, not counting warmup and warmdown. Weekly I do around 8-9k, counting the distance of unstructured workouts as well. How did your 6K race feel this year - did you have good endurance throughout and felt your conditioning was good for the distance and just want to get faster? It took me 2h10m to finish the 6k. Las time I swam anywhere that distance has been two years ago. This has been a test race for next year. I felt somewhat exhausted (8/10), also felt that my technique was falling apart during the last 2k or so (felt I was snaking a lot). What pace per 100m did you average in your 6K this year and where do you want to be next year? pace was 2:10/100m. Goals for next year would be: great 1:50/100m, ok 2:00/100m. Are they realistic? As for paddles, I'd let your shoulders be the judge of that. Lots of swimmers love them, but I find they mess with my form and with my shoulders. Use at your own comfort. I would recommend against using a buoy as it artificially raises your body position; you'll want to have put your core, legs and shoulders under the stress (and more) of what you'll experience in the race. Thanks for the reply. I left my answers above. Yes, I get what you're saying about paddle work and shoulder stress. I'll give it a shot to see how much is enough for a good workout.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    A few questions: Are you only swimming 3 days a week? I'm swimming 5 days a week, two of which are drills and leg work, and mostly unstructured (yet!). Any advice of what to do in these 2 days (Tu, Th)? I thought that doing interval training every day would soon become boring and I could use one day in between to relax. Is this your main set? Those are my main sets, yes. I changed Fridays with 3*800m. How much total volume in meters are you doing each workout? Each week? As for volume/ workout is 2k/2k/2.4k, not counting warmup and warmdown. Weekly I do around 8-9k, counting the distance of unstructured workouts as well. How did your 6K race feel this year - did you have good endurance throughout and felt your conditioning was good for the distance and just want to get faster? It took me 2h10m to finish the 6k. Las time I swam anywhere that distance has been two years ago. This has been a test race for next year. I felt somewhat exhausted (8/10), also felt that my technique was falling apart during the last 2k or so (felt I was snaking a lot). What pace per 100m did you average in your 6K this year and where do you want to be next year? pace was 2:10/100m. Goals for next year would be: great 1:50/100m, ok 2:00/100m. Are they realistic? As for paddles, I'd let your shoulders be the judge of that. Lots of swimmers love them, but I find they mess with my form and with my shoulders. Use at your own comfort. I would recommend against using a buoy as it artificially raises your body position; you'll want to have put your core, legs and shoulders under the stress (and more) of what you'll experience in the race. Thanks for the reply. I left my answers above. Yes, I get what you're saying about paddle work and shoulder stress. I'll give it a shot to see how much is enough for a good workout.
Children
No Data