Qs about interval training for open water races

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, In preparation for a 6k race next year, I've changed my training plan to interval training 3 days a week, Mo (20*100m), We (10*200m), Fr (5*400m). Currently I keep lowering the time it takes to swim one repetition. I have two main questions: is this a good strategy, to lower the time/ interval until I achieve a desired pace and after that to increase the number of repetions, aiming for race distance? What would be a better approach? For these 3 days of interval training, should I keep 100m/ 200m/ 400m intervals or should I increase to 200m/400m/800m? A better option? Cheers, Adrian
Parents
  • Hi everyone, In preparation for a 6k race next year, I've changed my training plan to interval training 3 days a week, Mo (20*100m), We (10*200m), Fr (5*400m). A few questions: Are you only swimming 3 days a week? Is this your main set? How much total volume in meters are you doing each workout? Each week? How did your 6K race feel this year - did you have good endurance throughout and felt your conditioning was good for the distance and just want to get faster? What pace per 100m did you average in your 6K this year and where do you want to be next year? As for paddles, I'd let your shoulders be the judge of that. Lots of swimmers love them, but I find they mess with my form and with my shoulders. Use at your own comfort. I would recommend against using a buoy as it artificially raises your body position; you'll want to have put your core, legs and shoulders under the stress (and more) of what you'll experience in the race.
  • Hi everyone, In preparation for a 6k race next year, I've changed my training plan to interval training 3 days a week, Mo (20*100m), We (10*200m), Fr (5*400m). A few questions: Are you only swimming 3 days a week? Is this your main set? How much total volume in meters are you doing each workout? Each week? How did your 6K race feel this year - did you have good endurance throughout and felt your conditioning was good for the distance and just want to get faster? What pace per 100m did you average in your 6K this year and where do you want to be next year? As for paddles, I'd let your shoulders be the judge of that. Lots of swimmers love them, but I find they mess with my form and with my shoulders. Use at your own comfort. I would recommend against using a buoy as it artificially raises your body position; you'll want to have put your core, legs and shoulders under the stress (and more) of what you'll experience in the race.
Children
No Data