DQ overturned

Former Member
Former Member
Parents
  • From an official's standpoint, since I wasn't present, I can't and don't want to comment on the call. That being said: The NFHS did make the suit rule a formal Point of Emphasis this year, no doubt influenced by the SafeSport and USA Swimming Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP) initiatives. Specifically, NFHS Rule 3.3 Art. 2. That rule says that "Females shall wear suits which cover the buttocks and breasts and shall not extend beyond the shoulders or below the top of the knee cap, nor cover the neck." That's it. Obviously subject to interpretation and people reading what they want to into it. As officials, our primary responsibility is to insure fair competition and the safety of the athletes, not to be arbiters of morality or fashion. IMHO, that responsibility should fall back on the athletic directors, coaches and parents. Ironically, I worked a meet this past week where a poor novice freshman male swimmer had team-issued suit that was several sizes too large. It came about halfway up his chest and came down well past his knees. Technically, it was in violation of the same Rule 3.3 Art 2, but the was no way I was going to DQ the kid. My real fear was that the thing was going to come off in the water...
  • From an official's standpoint, since I wasn't present, I can't and don't want to comment on the call. That being said: The NFHS did make the suit rule a formal Point of Emphasis this year, no doubt influenced by the SafeSport and USA Swimming Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP) initiatives. Specifically, NFHS Rule 3.3 Art. 2. That rule says that "Females shall wear suits which cover the buttocks and breasts and shall not extend beyond the shoulders or below the top of the knee cap, nor cover the neck." That's it. Obviously subject to interpretation and people reading what they want to into it. As officials, our primary responsibility is to insure fair competition and the safety of the athletes, not to be arbiters of morality or fashion. IMHO, that responsibility should fall back on the athletic directors, coaches and parents. Ironically, I worked a meet this past week where a poor novice freshman male swimmer had team-issued suit that was several sizes too large. It came about halfway up his chest and came down well past his knees. Technically, it was in violation of the same Rule 3.3 Art 2, but the was no way I was going to DQ the kid. My real fear was that the thing was going to come off in the water...
Children
No Data