DQ overturned

Former Member
Former Member
Parents
  • This thing just irks me on so many levels. And I am not trying to be political, I hope I don't get that way, but it might come across that way. 1. Stop calling this girl "curvy" the same way you call plus size models like Ashley Graham. CNN had a video of this girl (and her sister) working out, doing resistance training. They are not dainty, but they are FIT. They look pretty darn athletic. 2. We have had 2 girls (both white, FWIW) on our USA team with this issue. Both very fit girls who make Sectional times, one of whom is knocking on the door to Futures and is being recruiting by a Pac-12 school. And guess what.....parents grumble. Parents of the younger kids on the team. The one parent who complained was the mother of a young girl. The official who made the DQ was a lady, as well (presumably also a swim Mom). 3. This isn't about sexism or racism, IMHO. It really irks me that the media has gone out and tried to label it such, as it inherently carries a stigma that may extend to the whole sport in some people's minds. This is about prudish parents (moms, at that!) who likely/presumably never swam competitively in their high school days. 4. The point about about the potential deliberate nature of teh swimmer doing it. I don't think taht is an unfair question to ask. Of the two girls I mentioned earlier on our team, one of them is the kind of girl you want your daughters to become. There is NFW that girl does it intentionally. The other girl I don't think did, but Icouldn't dismiss it. 5. My skinny, small butt daughters have had their suits ride up on them a few times. Which gets to the above point. It can even happen to girls who are not physically built in a way that makes it more likley.
  • This thing just irks me on so many levels. And I am not trying to be political, I hope I don't get that way, but it might come across that way. 1. Stop calling this girl "curvy" the same way you call plus size models like Ashley Graham. CNN had a video of this girl (and her sister) working out, doing resistance training. They are not dainty, but they are FIT. They look pretty darn athletic. 2. We have had 2 girls (both white, FWIW) on our USA team with this issue. Both very fit girls who make Sectional times, one of whom is knocking on the door to Futures and is being recruiting by a Pac-12 school. And guess what.....parents grumble. Parents of the younger kids on the team. The one parent who complained was the mother of a young girl. The official who made the DQ was a lady, as well (presumably also a swim Mom). 3. This isn't about sexism or racism, IMHO. It really irks me that the media has gone out and tried to label it such, as it inherently carries a stigma that may extend to the whole sport in some people's minds. This is about prudish parents (moms, at that!) who likely/presumably never swam competitively in their high school days. 4. The point about about the potential deliberate nature of teh swimmer doing it. I don't think taht is an unfair question to ask. Of the two girls I mentioned earlier on our team, one of them is the kind of girl you want your daughters to become. There is NFW that girl does it intentionally. The other girl I don't think did, but Icouldn't dismiss it. 5. My skinny, small butt daughters have had their suits ride up on them a few times. Which gets to the above point. It can even happen to girls who are not physically built in a way that makes it more likley.
Children
No Data