Should I wear a drag suit for fitness swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Is it a bad idea for me to wear a drag suit if I swim for fitness and not for a Masters team or to compete? I recently bought one because I read that they help build upper body muscles and stamina by making your swim workouts harder. For years I've been wearing a pair of extremely short swim trunks because I didn't feel comfortable wearing a super skimpy bathing suit, but now I'm ready to wear something that might feel embarrassing. I want to start doing swim workouts again, not just to get in better shape and get stronger, but I also really want to challenge myself. I'm thinking of wearing the drag suit only when I really want to get my butt kicked, and wear the short shorts I've always worn the rest of the time.
Parents
  • So, the thing with drag suits is that the extra drag changes your stroke ever so slightly. Which is detrimental when you're training for racing. OMG, the voice of reason! This seemingly obvious insight is remarkably uncommon. However, if you're just training for fitness, that's not really an issue - and you have the added bonus of drag suits not wearing out as quickly as other suits. I highly doubt there's much of a muscle- or extra strength-building effect though. More good insight. JPE is firing on all cylinders here.
  • So, the thing with drag suits is that the extra drag changes your stroke ever so slightly. Which is detrimental when you're training for racing. OMG, the voice of reason! This seemingly obvious insight is remarkably uncommon. However, if you're just training for fitness, that's not really an issue - and you have the added bonus of drag suits not wearing out as quickly as other suits. I highly doubt there's much of a muscle- or extra strength-building effect though. More good insight. JPE is firing on all cylinders here.
Children
No Data