FINA Worlds Controversy

At FINA Worlds a lot is happening. So far the Americans are not doing great and Katie Lydecky is sick. The backstroke wedges have been malfunctioning. The big controversy is over Sun Yang who probably shouldn't have been allowed to swim and has been shunned by an Australian swimmer and a British swimmer. Evidently last September he was supposed to give blood and urine samples for doping analysis. Blood was drawn and then he begin questioning the authority of the people obtaining the samples, had one removed, refused to give a urine sample and had someone break the blood sample. FINA gave him rebukes, which seems an underwhelming response. WADA will have a hearing, in September, after Worlds. What do you think?
Parents
  • What I think is that it just continues to show how toothless the international doping agencies are, and how little international governing bodies for sports are willing to back them up. Also money talks, and I think FINA balked at the idea of suspending a Chinese swimmer from an international meet being held ostensibly in his back yard. I am not breaking out a tin foil hat or anything. Wouldn't surprise me at all if FINA decides to suspend him AFTER Worlds. But what do I care? FINA is as bad as FIFA. I will still watch my swimming like I watch my soccer. I respect the athletes, but I won't ever respect the old man bureaucrats who are supposedly in charge. It's like the NCAA. They all forget that without their organizations, we (the community) would still have the sport. Without the athletes, FINA, the NCAA, FIFA, etc. are nothing. My two cents.
  • What I think is that it just continues to show how toothless the international doping agencies are, and how little international governing bodies for sports are willing to back them up. Also money talks, and I think FINA balked at the idea of suspending a Chinese swimmer from an international meet being held ostensibly in his back yard. I am not breaking out a tin foil hat or anything. Wouldn't surprise me at all if FINA decides to suspend him AFTER Worlds. But what do I care? FINA is as bad as FIFA. I will still watch my swimming like I watch my soccer. I respect the athletes, but I won't ever respect the old man bureaucrats who are supposedly in charge. It's like the NCAA. They all forget that without their organizations, we (the community) would still have the sport. Without the athletes, FINA, the NCAA, FIFA, etc. are nothing. My two cents.
Children
No Data