The Effect Of No Lane Ropes?

Former Member
Former Member
Apologies if this is a very silly topic. :) On Tuesdays I like to swim a hard 200m. My last 4 Tuesdays have seen 3:05-3:05-3:05-3:04. I was dreaming of 3:03 today. I went to a different pool today, and during the length-swim time, no ropes were up. You find a black line and go! There were several people doing lengths. I was very surprised at the "sea-state" this created. It's amazing how much those ropes retard the waves. When swimming I could feel myself bouncing around!! Anyway....I swam 3:11. WTF?? I can't believe that I was that slow. Maybe I'm just having a really off day. Or....could the lack of ropes and presence of waves account for a difference of about 4%? (Or am I just looking for excuses?) :)
Parents
  • Even with lane dividers, having just one other person in the lane has an impact. For me, it probably costs 1s per 100, maybe more in backstroke. Doesn't matter if circle swimming or splitting the lane, sharing = slower for a given effort level. (drafting notwithstanding of course)
  • Even with lane dividers, having just one other person in the lane has an impact. For me, it probably costs 1s per 100, maybe more in backstroke. Doesn't matter if circle swimming or splitting the lane, sharing = slower for a given effort level. (drafting notwithstanding of course)
Children
No Data