The Effect Of No Lane Ropes?

Former Member
Former Member
Apologies if this is a very silly topic. :) On Tuesdays I like to swim a hard 200m. My last 4 Tuesdays have seen 3:05-3:05-3:05-3:04. I was dreaming of 3:03 today. I went to a different pool today, and during the length-swim time, no ropes were up. You find a black line and go! There were several people doing lengths. I was very surprised at the "sea-state" this created. It's amazing how much those ropes retard the waves. When swimming I could feel myself bouncing around!! Anyway....I swam 3:11. WTF?? I can't believe that I was that slow. Maybe I'm just having a really off day. Or....could the lack of ropes and presence of waves account for a difference of about 4%? (Or am I just looking for excuses?) :)
Parents
  • I train in an 84-degree, 5-lane pool with lane lines in only two lanes. There are no gutters, the pool ranges from 3'6" - 5' deep, and I often share the pool with the noodlers bobbing up and down like corks. It's like swimming in a washing machine! 12049 The good part about training under these conditions is that I very much appreciate the heaven-like conditions of an awesome pool at a swim meet! :bliss:
  • I train in an 84-degree, 5-lane pool with lane lines in only two lanes. There are no gutters, the pool ranges from 3'6" - 5' deep, and I often share the pool with the noodlers bobbing up and down like corks. It's like swimming in a washing machine! 12049 The good part about training under these conditions is that I very much appreciate the heaven-like conditions of an awesome pool at a swim meet! :bliss:
Children
No Data