No kick

I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do???
Parents
  • To me, the longer the distance, the less the kick matters except in the end of a race. For sprinters, the kick means a ton. It's good to have enough kick to keep your legs up and in alignment with the rest of your body so they don't drag. You might have to press your chest down a bit more in the water to get them to lift up some (think of a teeter totter). JP is right though, if you're a runner, you probably have stiff ankles. This video shows a good stretch you can do (with or without a roller) every night for a bit as you're watching TV or something. www.youtube.com/watch Over time it can help.
  • To me, the longer the distance, the less the kick matters except in the end of a race. For sprinters, the kick means a ton. It's good to have enough kick to keep your legs up and in alignment with the rest of your body so they don't drag. You might have to press your chest down a bit more in the water to get them to lift up some (think of a teeter totter). JP is right though, if you're a runner, you probably have stiff ankles. This video shows a good stretch you can do (with or without a roller) every night for a bit as you're watching TV or something. www.youtube.com/watch Over time it can help.
Children
No Data