No kick

I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do???
Parents
  • I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do??? I would suggest working on your kick using a snorkel. With ot without a kickboard, whatever makes you comfortable. But the snorkel will help you keep the head down and in proper alignment. Head above water with a kickboard keeps the hips too low. Streamline head down iwithot a board s not bad, but I think you lose position when you rotate, so I'd suggest a snorkel, instead. As for the importance of kicking, I'm in the camp that believes it is vitally important. I'd say that it is most importnat for *** stroke and back stroke. Look up Elizabeth Biesel's "titanic" drill. That shows how much kicking contributes. I'd actually contend that it is possible to do backstroke faster only kicking than only pulling. That said, you don't see it much in distance. I think legs use an amount of oxygen disproportionate to the benefit. But on short distances, they are vital. Again, my opinion/anecdote. UDK's are something else, entirely. Those are even more critical. Look up David Berkhoff, of "Berkhoff Blastoff," who is responsible for the 15M rule. He held the world record from his technique of staying underwater doing UDK for probably 70 of 100M. Not legal, nowadays.
  • I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do??? I would suggest working on your kick using a snorkel. With ot without a kickboard, whatever makes you comfortable. But the snorkel will help you keep the head down and in proper alignment. Head above water with a kickboard keeps the hips too low. Streamline head down iwithot a board s not bad, but I think you lose position when you rotate, so I'd suggest a snorkel, instead. As for the importance of kicking, I'm in the camp that believes it is vitally important. I'd say that it is most importnat for *** stroke and back stroke. Look up Elizabeth Biesel's "titanic" drill. That shows how much kicking contributes. I'd actually contend that it is possible to do backstroke faster only kicking than only pulling. That said, you don't see it much in distance. I think legs use an amount of oxygen disproportionate to the benefit. But on short distances, they are vital. Again, my opinion/anecdote. UDK's are something else, entirely. Those are even more critical. Look up David Berkhoff, of "Berkhoff Blastoff," who is responsible for the 15M rule. He held the world record from his technique of staying underwater doing UDK for probably 70 of 100M. Not legal, nowadays.
Children
No Data