No kick

I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do???
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    The very act of putting on fins makes my feet cramp. I need not even enter the water and the workout is effectively over. I have been a runner for 40+ years and at 71 now, improving ankle flexibility is a very remote possibility. I keep trying though. Interesting. I could have written this post!! :) I was a hardcore runner for 40+ years. Osteo in both knees turned me to swimming on February 21st, 2019. :) (Yes, that was the date when I made the switch.) I hate "toys". (Fins, paddles, floats, wetsuits, etc.) As runners, did we ever employ such aids? (Spikes!! You got me!) Are we ex-runners screwed in the kicking department?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    The very act of putting on fins makes my feet cramp. I need not even enter the water and the workout is effectively over. I have been a runner for 40+ years and at 71 now, improving ankle flexibility is a very remote possibility. I keep trying though. Interesting. I could have written this post!! :) I was a hardcore runner for 40+ years. Osteo in both knees turned me to swimming on February 21st, 2019. :) (Yes, that was the date when I made the switch.) I hate "toys". (Fins, paddles, floats, wetsuits, etc.) As runners, did we ever employ such aids? (Spikes!! You got me!) Are we ex-runners screwed in the kicking department?
Children
No Data