Oversized Paddles

Former Member
Former Member
My swim buddy is doing long distance swims with over sized Michael Phelps paddles. Can this harm her physically ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. I've learned a lot. For me right now, I use the Finis Agility paddles, three dots/size large, as when I came back to swimming my coach at the time recommenced to use paddles that were slightly larger than your hand but not larger so no to big ones. I've been able to maintain technique with these & build strength in all four strokes though minimal use with fly. Since everyone has different ideas about paddles I was able to borrow others for test runs & found that all the large paddles I tested distorted my hands and made a mess of my technique. I find the buoy comments really interesting. It took me a while to find one of the single-piece buoys that kept my hips at the normal level + allowed rotation. For me using a buoy is the only way to isolate my legs for certain parts of practice, especially drills. But I completely agree ones that seem to float the body up too much or don't allow rotation probably aren't good except in certain circumstances.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. I've learned a lot. For me right now, I use the Finis Agility paddles, three dots/size large, as when I came back to swimming my coach at the time recommenced to use paddles that were slightly larger than your hand but not larger so no to big ones. I've been able to maintain technique with these & build strength in all four strokes though minimal use with fly. Since everyone has different ideas about paddles I was able to borrow others for test runs & found that all the large paddles I tested distorted my hands and made a mess of my technique. I find the buoy comments really interesting. It took me a while to find one of the single-piece buoys that kept my hips at the normal level + allowed rotation. For me using a buoy is the only way to isolate my legs for certain parts of practice, especially drills. But I completely agree ones that seem to float the body up too much or don't allow rotation probably aren't good except in certain circumstances.
Children
No Data