Oversized Paddles

Former Member
Former Member
My swim buddy is doing long distance swims with over sized Michael Phelps paddles. Can this harm her physically ?
Parents
  • A lot depends upon what oversized paddles means. Could be different for different people. Personally, I always use green Strokemaker paddles (think they may actually be turquoise now, but whatever “level 1” is). I never graduated to a larger size. And that’s the thing. You can, slowly, over time, train yourself to use larger size paddles. Had a friend of similar height and build to me who used the blue Strokemakers (level 4 I think). I always thought those were WAY too big for him, but it took years for him to work his way up to that size of paddle. And for him it wasn’t a macho thing like “look at me I’m a badass for using super large paddles.” He really did get something out of that. I do agree with what is being said here though that paddle use should be as tolerated and in moderation. I use the Finis agility paddles a lot as well (I call them SP or “strapless paddles”).
  • A lot depends upon what oversized paddles means. Could be different for different people. Personally, I always use green Strokemaker paddles (think they may actually be turquoise now, but whatever “level 1” is). I never graduated to a larger size. And that’s the thing. You can, slowly, over time, train yourself to use larger size paddles. Had a friend of similar height and build to me who used the blue Strokemakers (level 4 I think). I always thought those were WAY too big for him, but it took years for him to work his way up to that size of paddle. And for him it wasn’t a macho thing like “look at me I’m a badass for using super large paddles.” He really did get something out of that. I do agree with what is being said here though that paddle use should be as tolerated and in moderation. I use the Finis agility paddles a lot as well (I call them SP or “strapless paddles”).
Children
No Data