Oversized Paddles

Former Member
Former Member
My swim buddy is doing long distance swims with over sized Michael Phelps paddles. Can this harm her physically ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I would strongly recommend she use neither the paddles nor the buoy. The buoy flattens out your body, so you lose the power and connection from your hips and kick. Paddles are just downright murder on your shoulders. Better off getting some good technique work, focus on connecting the hips / kick / core / shoulders and work on good rotation. I'm fascinated by this reply. Is there a school of thought that states that all these "toys" (paddles, flippers, buoys, etc) are unnecessary, and perhaps even detrimental? I may have come across this train of thought when quicky perusing some swimbooks/sites. This may represent the writings of a swimcult that is entirely unconnected to the world of Real Swimming Improvement. I myself, a slow newbie, eschew all toys because....um.....I have no clue what to do with them or how to utilize them, and in my newbie ignorance, I claim that I am some kind of toyless purist, perhaps to my grave detriment. But I don't have a clue, really. How important are these aids?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I would strongly recommend she use neither the paddles nor the buoy. The buoy flattens out your body, so you lose the power and connection from your hips and kick. Paddles are just downright murder on your shoulders. Better off getting some good technique work, focus on connecting the hips / kick / core / shoulders and work on good rotation. I'm fascinated by this reply. Is there a school of thought that states that all these "toys" (paddles, flippers, buoys, etc) are unnecessary, and perhaps even detrimental? I may have come across this train of thought when quicky perusing some swimbooks/sites. This may represent the writings of a swimcult that is entirely unconnected to the world of Real Swimming Improvement. I myself, a slow newbie, eschew all toys because....um.....I have no clue what to do with them or how to utilize them, and in my newbie ignorance, I claim that I am some kind of toyless purist, perhaps to my grave detriment. But I don't have a clue, really. How important are these aids?
Children
No Data