Entry-Level Tech Suit: Hydrophobic Fiber or Taped Seams

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing an entry-level (read--cheap) tech suit for this summer's slate of open water swims and I'm trying to decide whether hydrophobic fiber or taped seams is more important. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!
Parents
  • I still think water temp should be a major consideration since there is a big difference between 75 and 65 and sunny vs cloudy. On a sunny and calm day, I could tolerate 75 degrees for that period of time. If it was cloudy, windy/calm, and only 65, I would be in trouble without a wetsuit. Even a sleeveless wetsuit provides far more thermal protection than jammers (which is none). Check to see if they allow neoprene caps for the race. Although they chafe a bit, they really help keep your head warm - compared to latex or silicone. I'll second all of the above. Everyone's different in terms of their cold tolerance - I learned a few years ago at the La Jolla Rough Water swim that my lower limit is about 64 in jammers for a 5K ... but that left me shivering under multiple layers for hours afterwards. Whereas, if you watch Kim Swims on Netflix, you'll see her and the other San Fran OW folks frolicking in that temperature. If you are going to wear a wetsuit, I highly recommend sleeveless - your range of motion is just so much better and you really don't lose much in the way of warmth. As for the 'stigma' of racing in a wetsuit, I wouldn't worry about it. There will be plenty of others in wetsuits and safety should be your first concern.
  • I still think water temp should be a major consideration since there is a big difference between 75 and 65 and sunny vs cloudy. On a sunny and calm day, I could tolerate 75 degrees for that period of time. If it was cloudy, windy/calm, and only 65, I would be in trouble without a wetsuit. Even a sleeveless wetsuit provides far more thermal protection than jammers (which is none). Check to see if they allow neoprene caps for the race. Although they chafe a bit, they really help keep your head warm - compared to latex or silicone. I'll second all of the above. Everyone's different in terms of their cold tolerance - I learned a few years ago at the La Jolla Rough Water swim that my lower limit is about 64 in jammers for a 5K ... but that left me shivering under multiple layers for hours afterwards. Whereas, if you watch Kim Swims on Netflix, you'll see her and the other San Fran OW folks frolicking in that temperature. If you are going to wear a wetsuit, I highly recommend sleeveless - your range of motion is just so much better and you really don't lose much in the way of warmth. As for the 'stigma' of racing in a wetsuit, I wouldn't worry about it. There will be plenty of others in wetsuits and safety should be your first concern.
Children
No Data