Entry-Level Tech Suit: Hydrophobic Fiber or Taped Seams

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing an entry-level (read--cheap) tech suit for this summer's slate of open water swims and I'm trying to decide whether hydrophobic fiber or taped seams is more important. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    olivesss, Another aspect that you want to consider - especially for the Vermont 10K. Whereas a wetsuit is going to provide buoyancy and warmth, the tech suit will do neither. If the 10K is the Kingdom swim, the water will not be warm and hypothermia should be something to include in your decision. Should you decide to try a tech suit, you should also get out for a couple of longer test swims. I remember a friend of mine who tried one for the first time (when full body suits were legal) and he could not get used to the tight chest fit and it was hard for him to breathe. For women, it is not only the tightness for breathing, it is the tightness around the thighs. Finally, you do not need a $450 tech suit for these races. A Speedo Aquablade leg suit that fits properly will be perfect for what you want to accomplish. AND, much easier to get on and off. With the really expensive tech suits that take an hour to get on, you might have a problem with that last minute dash to the port-a-potty. :) I used to drive through Woodstock on my way to Dartmouth. Love that little town on Rte 4!! Good luck... It is the Kingdom Swim 10k! Have you swam it before? I swam Lake Champlain around the same time last year and was comfortable in my sleeve-less wetsuit. If I go the techsuit route, I think I would just get a jammer. So no worries about having a hard time breathing. What had you visiting Dartmouth? Woodstock is fantastic. One thing it could use though is an indoor 25yd pool!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    olivesss, Another aspect that you want to consider - especially for the Vermont 10K. Whereas a wetsuit is going to provide buoyancy and warmth, the tech suit will do neither. If the 10K is the Kingdom swim, the water will not be warm and hypothermia should be something to include in your decision. Should you decide to try a tech suit, you should also get out for a couple of longer test swims. I remember a friend of mine who tried one for the first time (when full body suits were legal) and he could not get used to the tight chest fit and it was hard for him to breathe. For women, it is not only the tightness for breathing, it is the tightness around the thighs. Finally, you do not need a $450 tech suit for these races. A Speedo Aquablade leg suit that fits properly will be perfect for what you want to accomplish. AND, much easier to get on and off. With the really expensive tech suits that take an hour to get on, you might have a problem with that last minute dash to the port-a-potty. :) I used to drive through Woodstock on my way to Dartmouth. Love that little town on Rte 4!! Good luck... It is the Kingdom Swim 10k! Have you swam it before? I swam Lake Champlain around the same time last year and was comfortable in my sleeve-less wetsuit. If I go the techsuit route, I think I would just get a jammer. So no worries about having a hard time breathing. What had you visiting Dartmouth? Woodstock is fantastic. One thing it could use though is an indoor 25yd pool!!
Children
No Data