13yrs old after a year of swimming - what now?

Former Member
Former Member
Dear friends, hello from Poland this is Hubert father of a 13yrs old girl height: 175cm 5 feet, 8.89 inches. My daughter Lena has been swimming in a swimming club in Warsaw, Poland, Central Europe :) for almost a year. This is her first year. She has been swimming 4-5 times a week 60 minutes/session, every 3-4 weeks she takes parts in some competitions. I have noticed that after the first big step in her swimming progress now she has "swum to the wall". I mean the progress in her results is very, very little. Of course it seems to be normal that the progress at the beginning is huge BUT what now? The coach does not seem to be interested in improving technics aspects of my daughter swimming. He does not teach her the proper jump, the proper reversion etc, she is just "swimming miles". Shall I let the coach do his job? Or consult it with independent coach? In my opinion the improvement of technical aspects of her swimming could "cut" her more seconds. So her results are 100 freestyle (50m) 1:16:42, 100 backstroke (50m) 1:27:50. Or maybe after 8 months of swimming You can't expect anything better and we should be happy with the progress? this is Lena from last Saturday - Lena is line nr 6 www.youtube.com/watch Regards, Hubert
Parents
  • Hi, Hubert! :welcome: Welcome to our forums. First of all, I have to say you have an excellent command of our language! I have a lot of respect for those who can speak and write in more than one language. Second, I am looking forward to visiting Gdansk, Poland on a cruise next year! Anyway, about your daughter, I would strongly suggest you set up some private coaching sessions with a coach who could help your daughter improve her technique. She is lifting her elbows on her recovery in such a way that I am afraid she could develop shoulder problems. In addition to making sure your daughter is enjoying swimming and having FUN, The top the top priority should be for her to avoid injury and stay healthy. Everything else should be further down the priority list. Does your daughter want to stay in swimming and improve? If so, look into some private coaching sessions. In addition, there are free resources you both could look into together. For starters, sign up for a free subscription to www.GoSwim.TV and watch their swimming videos together. You can also find them on www.YouTube.com . The reason I suggest watching them together is that the more you learn right along with her, the more you can help her (if she wants your help) by watching her swim from up on deck. You can learn how to spot stroke flaws, and then shoot video of her and go over the videos together. You can also shoot videos of your daughter's coaching sessions, so you can go over what the coach suggests and help her with it. My husband doesn't swim; however, he has learned how to be a great deck coach! He shoots topside and underwater videos of my strokes, and he has learned exactly what to watch for in each of my strokes. For example, I can ask him, "Will you watch where my hands are landing?" for butterfly, and he will know where they should land and provide accurate feedback. This could be a really fun father-daughter project you two work on together. Just make sure it's FUN, and don't put pressure on her. Good luck! :cheerleader:
  • Hi, Hubert! :welcome: Welcome to our forums. First of all, I have to say you have an excellent command of our language! I have a lot of respect for those who can speak and write in more than one language. Second, I am looking forward to visiting Gdansk, Poland on a cruise next year! Anyway, about your daughter, I would strongly suggest you set up some private coaching sessions with a coach who could help your daughter improve her technique. She is lifting her elbows on her recovery in such a way that I am afraid she could develop shoulder problems. In addition to making sure your daughter is enjoying swimming and having FUN, The top the top priority should be for her to avoid injury and stay healthy. Everything else should be further down the priority list. Does your daughter want to stay in swimming and improve? If so, look into some private coaching sessions. In addition, there are free resources you both could look into together. For starters, sign up for a free subscription to www.GoSwim.TV and watch their swimming videos together. You can also find them on www.YouTube.com . The reason I suggest watching them together is that the more you learn right along with her, the more you can help her (if she wants your help) by watching her swim from up on deck. You can learn how to spot stroke flaws, and then shoot video of her and go over the videos together. You can also shoot videos of your daughter's coaching sessions, so you can go over what the coach suggests and help her with it. My husband doesn't swim; however, he has learned how to be a great deck coach! He shoots topside and underwater videos of my strokes, and he has learned exactly what to watch for in each of my strokes. For example, I can ask him, "Will you watch where my hands are landing?" for butterfly, and he will know where they should land and provide accurate feedback. This could be a really fun father-daughter project you two work on together. Just make sure it's FUN, and don't put pressure on her. Good luck! :cheerleader:
Children
No Data