Canned oxygen use at high-altitude meets. Experience?

Has anybody had experience using canned oxygen (such as Boost Oxygen) at high-altitude swim meets? I will be competing at the National Senior Games, in Albuquerque, this June and would like to know what I can expect if I use it. How well does it work? Would racing after taking a few hits of oxygen be similar to racing at sea level? I have been doing some training with a center-mount snorkel with a air-restricting cap to help prepare. In addition, I will be arriving on a Wednesday evening before my first race on Sunday, so I will have a few days to adjust; however, it's probably not enough. I'm thinking the oxygen could help-- at least it wouldn't hurt! I just don't want to die on my 200 fly, 400 IM, 200 IM, and 200 breaststroke! :whiteflag:
Parents
  • Elaine, good luck with the competition! Try not to worry too much about the altitude difference and focus on enjoying the meet itself. You'll get there a few days ahead of time so hopefully will be able to get in some pre-meet warmups to get used to the differences. Have fun! Thanks, Julia! On my check list: 1. Have fun! :bliss: 2. Repeat mantra: INHALE/EXHALE! :agree:
  • Elaine, good luck with the competition! Try not to worry too much about the altitude difference and focus on enjoying the meet itself. You'll get there a few days ahead of time so hopefully will be able to get in some pre-meet warmups to get used to the differences. Have fun! Thanks, Julia! On my check list: 1. Have fun! :bliss: 2. Repeat mantra: INHALE/EXHALE! :agree:
Children
No Data