Is there a glossary on the forum ?

Former Member
Former Member
I have been away from masters swimming for years, and I am more confused than ever ? I am seeing a garden of abbreviations that are all new to me: USRPT USTRP HIIT CSS Is there a glossary for terms and abbreviations we now use in masters swimming ? Old-N-Slow
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    USRPT = Ultra short race pace training - a training method which advocate training at race pace only. HIIT = High-intensity interval training - I believe this term comes from fitness world, not specific to swimming CSS = Critical swim speed - the speed differential between your 400 m and 200 m time - used as a foundation by Swim Smooth.
  • I have been away from masters swimming for years... Is there a glossary for terms and abbreviations... Regardless...there should be one. I never swam on an organized team in my youth. I don't know all the lingo and vernacular. Deciphering the abbreviations on my USMS coach's workout, for those of my ilk, is laborious and sometimes embarrassing. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Am I a complete jerk if I mention that google is your friend? I mean, I'm new and confused also, but I googled "swimming" plus the acronym, and found what I was looking for.....mostly. That being said, this CSS thing confounds me. My current 200m/400m is 3:15/6:58. What does this mean? I shall google some more!!
  • Am I a complete jerk if I mention that google is your friend? No. Believe me...I use Google for a varity of things too. But, I will also say that most of the discussion forum sights that I frequent have a glossary associated with them. In some cases you don't even have to leave the page that you're on. Dan
  • Am I a complete jerk if I mention that google is your friend? I mean, I'm new and confused also, but I googled "swimming" plus the acronym, and found what I was looking for.....mostly. That being said, this CSS thing confounds me. My current 200m/400m is 3:15/6:58. What does this mean? I shall google some more!! According to the CSS calculator, your CSS is 1:52/100m. Basically what that means is you should be able to maintain that rate for 1500m. I like the CSS test as I've found it is a good indicator of my fitness. I use my CSS to set some pace sets. If I'm training for a 10-mile swim, I'll do long sets (perhaps 5 x 1000) at CSS + :20 or :30. Right now my CSS is 1:49. I have a tempo trainer and set it to 27.25, which is when I should hit each wall. For the 5 x 1000, I would set my CSS to 2:09 and my tempo trainer to 32.25. Feels slow at first but as the set(s) go, I really have to pay attention so I don't miss a beep.
  • Any new sport/activity will have it's own "lingo" that is part of the learning curve. OK a glossary area might be an idea.