Really silly inquiry regarding the barrier in a 50m pool.

Former Member
Former Member
Please forgive me for this, but my OCD brain needs to know: When they put that barrier in the 50m pool to make 2x25m pools, how can you be left with 25m if the barrier is at least 1m wide? (This matters to me, sorry.) :)
  • Because the barrier (usually called a bulkhead technically) was already in at one end of the pool when it was 50m.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Because the barrier (usually called a bulkhead technically) was already in at one end of the pool when it was 50m. Well damn!! Thanks. I can sleep tonight.
  • And some pools (Federal Way is an example) have two bulkheads installed. That way the pool can be used as a single 50 meter course, two 25 yard courses, or two 25 meter courses. Maximum versatility! Wait what? Two moveable bulkheads ? Ya can’t split the pool three ways. Dan
  • Wait what? Two moveable bulkheads ? Ya can’t split the pool three ways. Dan Any 50m pool that you can split into two 25y pools is done with two bulkheads. There's a little dead space of water in between them they dont let anybody swim in normally.
  • So I have a question then (just for the sake of discussion). Presumably then, the pool is accurately measured with the bulkhead in at one end. When it’s moved to the middle is remeasurement required? Or is that superfluous because measurement before each meet is required? Dan
  • So I have a question then (just for the sake of discussion). Presumably then, the pool is accurately measured with the bulkhead in at one end. When it’s moved to the middle is remeasurement required? Or is that superfluous because measurement before each meet is required? Dan For USMS meets, bulkhead pools have to be measured at both ends and the middle at the start and finish of every session. USA-S has a little different standard I think. I did Sectionals this year and I didn't have to get pool measurements for USMS times because the measurements for Mizzou was already on file. I don't know exactly how the bulkhead placement works, if there's some kind of groove the bulkhead locks in or something that ensures it's at the same place every time.
  • Any 50m pool that you can split into two 25y pools is done with two bulkheads. There's a little dead space of water in between them they dont let anybody swim in normally. Depends upon which way you split it, Jeff. The Rosen Aquatic Center in Orlando ran 2 8 lane venues, but no bulkhead in the middle, just an extra lane with no stripe on the bottom and double lane-lined on each side. But they ran the lanes the width of the pool. To your point, I agree. I have never seen a 50 meter pool split into two 25 yard courses lengthwise that uses anything other than double bulkheads!
  • For USMS meets, bulkhead pools have to be measured at both ends and the middle at the start and finish of every session. USA-S has a little different standard I think. I did Sectionals this year and I didn't have to get pool measurements for USMS times because the measurements for Mizzou was already on file. I don't know exactly how the bulkhead placement works, if there's some kind of groove the bulkhead locks in or something that ensures it's at the same place every time. Still supposed to measure the pool every time bulkhead is moved. Just to be sure.
  • Yeah, lots of pools do SCY across the width of the pool.
  • Still supposed to measure the pool every time bulkhead is moved. Just to be sure. Yeah, I thought that was the rule for USA-S. Only has to be measured once when bulkhead moves. Funny that USMS is more stringent on that but I guess they are trying to hold to FINA standards because a national or world record could be set almost anywhere - heck, we had some guys at our LMSC champs break all the 75-79 national records a couple weeks back. BTW, good meet this weekend Calvin, I wanted to comment on your blog but something must be weird with my phone and blog comments.