Video analysis 100m backstroke SCM

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys, Can you take a look and say somethings to my 100m backstroke race (SCM). I am on lane 3, under the yellow line with the german cap: www.youtube.com/watch
  • This is new to me. I had absolutely no idea that people actually RACED backstroke. I thought it was for warm down only. 🤣
  • Couple things. Your stroke is pretty smooth and there's nothing grossly wrong going on. 1. I think you're pushing off too deep on your walls. It's slowing you down on your breakouts a lot because your first pull is being used more to get yourself back to the surface than the start moving forward. You also need to transition from dolphin to flutter quicker. It would probably help to have a solid plan of how many dolphin kicks you're going to take off every wall - that seemed kind of ad hoc. 2. I suspect you are straight arming the start of your pull too much. I say this because you are a little bouncy and also your stroke rate is pretty slow for a sprint. You need to bend your arm and start pulling down toward your feet earlier.
  • Just my opinion, but you were killing them on the surface, and getting killed while you were underwater. JPEnge is correct that you need to do a faster, cleaner, underwater with an earlier breakout. Get up and get going.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    WOW. Thank you very much for this great feedback guys...Yeah I will start working on this things. My start is always slow I don't not why and how to improve that??..My reactiontime is about 0.9 and that is really slow and bad. But I will try to improve and get better step by step. Thanks a lot!
  • You're a good swimmer and a good backstroker, but your start and your turns are pulling you down a bit. You had a slow start in this race, which is a disadvantage especially in the sprints. You should work on a tighter turn so that you can position your feet faster to punch off the wall instead of the wider turn that you are currently doing which slows down your ability to get your feet into position to push immediately off the wall. Here's a screen shot that demonstrates what you did during the race: 11908 Your underwater dolphin kick can be improved - as JPEnge said, you have a hard time transitioning from dolphin kick to flutter kick - you don't necessarily have to break out earlier, but you do need to work on timing the breakout and making the transition faster. Also be sure to get a good push off the wall before starting the dolphin kick. As you can see in the screenshot, you take a very wide flutter kick just before your breakout, which can really slow you down: 11909 In terms of your stroke itself, your head tends to dip underwater when you're extending with the left arm, which gives an indication of an issue with your kick on that side of the body. This screenshot shows your left knee coming out of the water, which indicates that your kick is coming more from the knees on the left side: 11910 I seem to see a slight tendency to cross over on the right side of the body, as per this screen shot: 11911 Finally, try to work on your rotation. Working on the rotation of your stroke, (while keeping your head stable), will allow you to position yourself to get a better catch and cleaner entrance in the water. Great job with what you have achieved so far, and by working on these elements, you will become even faster - good luck.
  • Looks like your goggles need to be adjusted. Otherwise...GREAT! Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I would add in regards to your flip turns to stabilize them better so you stay in the middle of your lane better. Try practicing your flip turns going into them faster by speeding up a few strokes before getting to the wall. As you go into the flip get your arms out and tuck your chin towards chest and try to get a tighter flip. The flip will then be faster if you haven't already been doing this. After your feet are on the wall in place on the wall target you need to push hard off the wall, and put those arms into tight streamline position and push big with your feet on the wall. * Since you may be coming off the wall too deeply, try avoiding pointing your streamline arms downward. The rest is streamline glide, roll to get on belly if needed, and do dolphin kicks as needed. You are coming off the wall slower than the other swimmer, and got yourself too close to the lane line divider by the end of your race. Other areas to look at includes refining your head position during your stroke. I think starting with working on your flip turns to do them faster and then finishing them in the middle of the lane while coming out is something to practice and drill on. Hope this helps.