Beginner here in dire need of help/advice

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone, New guy here and fairly new to proper swimming (as in swimming with correct technique) I have an instructor who is great and I've been taking lesson's for about four months now. I'm struggling with all strokes unfortunately but the one stroke giving me the most difficulty is freestyle :bitching: Here are my issues: -Not enough rotation of the torso/pulling with lats -I tend to stick my head out of the water rather than sideways when I come up for air -When I come up for air, I lose whatever tempo I had with my legs and I start kicking faster -I find it hard to keep my hips up whilst kicking I'm having a hard time piecing all the elements together. Separately I can execute each component decently, but when I put it all together, my kicking feels scurried, I'm using all arms and not enough back, when I start running out of breath I panic, etc. and it makes for very messy swimming and lots of wasted energy. Any advice/tips/help would be greatly appreciated!
Parents
  • Keep at it. You seem much more concerned in improving your stroke that others on our Masters team that have been on it for years! You will keep improving with your outlook. Yes - try to keep your head down by only having one goggle lens out of the water while keeping the other in the water to help staying flat.
  • Keep at it. You seem much more concerned in improving your stroke that others on our Masters team that have been on it for years! You will keep improving with your outlook. Yes - try to keep your head down by only having one goggle lens out of the water while keeping the other in the water to help staying flat.
Children
No Data