Beginner here in dire need of help/advice

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone, New guy here and fairly new to proper swimming (as in swimming with correct technique) I have an instructor who is great and I've been taking lesson's for about four months now. I'm struggling with all strokes unfortunately but the one stroke giving me the most difficulty is freestyle :bitching: Here are my issues: -Not enough rotation of the torso/pulling with lats -I tend to stick my head out of the water rather than sideways when I come up for air -When I come up for air, I lose whatever tempo I had with my legs and I start kicking faster -I find it hard to keep my hips up whilst kicking I'm having a hard time piecing all the elements together. Separately I can execute each component decently, but when I put it all together, my kicking feels scurried, I'm using all arms and not enough back, when I start running out of breath I panic, etc. and it makes for very messy swimming and lots of wasted energy. Any advice/tips/help would be greatly appreciated!
Parents
  • :welcome: You came to the right place. In addition to the tips above, I would recommend you have somebody shoot a video clip of your swimming and posting it here on this thread. It would help to have a visual to see exactly what you are doing, so we can provide suggestions on how to improve. Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I am a competitive swimmer, and I have the most difficulty with freestyle technique as well! My breaststroke is way better.
  • :welcome: You came to the right place. In addition to the tips above, I would recommend you have somebody shoot a video clip of your swimming and posting it here on this thread. It would help to have a visual to see exactly what you are doing, so we can provide suggestions on how to improve. Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I am a competitive swimmer, and I have the most difficulty with freestyle technique as well! My breaststroke is way better.
Children
No Data