Breathing every 3 strokes during freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
My 10 year old son just started swimming on a non-competitive swim team this year. He mentioned in passing that he holds his breath while his face is in the water when swimming freestyle. He is not very fast right now, so it probably doesn't harm him now, but I would like to break him of this habit before it sticks! He said the timing of the exhale and inhale confuses him and he ends up choking on water. He breathes every 3 strokes and I've always learned to breathe every other stroke. How does the exhale/inhale work for every 3 strokes. It seems like a long time to exhale?
Parents
  • ... I told him to try exhaling underwater rather than holding his breath and he has been practicing that and says it feels better. ;) He is signed up for the smaller-size stroke clinic in the Spring, so hopefully that will help hone in on ways he can improve. Jenetic - I expected the breath-holding. Glad that helps him. He really wants his breathing to feel more natural. The smaller group stroke clinic is a great idea. Good luck!
  • ... I told him to try exhaling underwater rather than holding his breath and he has been practicing that and says it feels better. ;) He is signed up for the smaller-size stroke clinic in the Spring, so hopefully that will help hone in on ways he can improve. Jenetic - I expected the breath-holding. Glad that helps him. He really wants his breathing to feel more natural. The smaller group stroke clinic is a great idea. Good luck!
Children
No Data