Breathing every 3 strokes during freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
My 10 year old son just started swimming on a non-competitive swim team this year. He mentioned in passing that he holds his breath while his face is in the water when swimming freestyle. He is not very fast right now, so it probably doesn't harm him now, but I would like to break him of this habit before it sticks! He said the timing of the exhale and inhale confuses him and he ends up choking on water. He breathes every 3 strokes and I've always learned to breathe every other stroke. How does the exhale/inhale work for every 3 strokes. It seems like a long time to exhale?
Parents
  • I am also of the belief that knowing how to, and being comfortable with bi-lat breathing is important and useful to a swimmer. As a swimmer who does bi-lat breathe...I don't always do it. It depends on when, where, and how intense I am swimming. Obviously it is very valuable in the open water, and almost always in use. In the pool, if I swimming long slow distance I'll use it. But if/when I'm swimming high-intensity shorter distances I may not. WRT discussing this with the coach...depending on how many swimmers the coach is responsible for during your son's practice times...it may be a situation where the coach just doesn't have the time to give to an individual swimmer during team practice. If that's the case, I would suggest some private one-on-one coaching lessons (perhaps with a different person), and follow-up with the coach. Dan
  • I am also of the belief that knowing how to, and being comfortable with bi-lat breathing is important and useful to a swimmer. As a swimmer who does bi-lat breathe...I don't always do it. It depends on when, where, and how intense I am swimming. Obviously it is very valuable in the open water, and almost always in use. In the pool, if I swimming long slow distance I'll use it. But if/when I'm swimming high-intensity shorter distances I may not. WRT discussing this with the coach...depending on how many swimmers the coach is responsible for during your son's practice times...it may be a situation where the coach just doesn't have the time to give to an individual swimmer during team practice. If that's the case, I would suggest some private one-on-one coaching lessons (perhaps with a different person), and follow-up with the coach. Dan
Children
No Data