USRPT training - how should I identify goal time?

Former Member
Former Member
I am going to add some USRPT training later because I love the idea of fast feedback. I tried a set last October, with target time 2'5" / 100 m (5 seconds faster than the pace on a recent 1500 m T/T) (although not strictly in adherence because I started every 2'20" instead of 2'25" for 20 seconds rest) and within a week I pushed my first failure from 8 to completing all 30, requiring me to "level up". I tried reducing the target time by 5 seconds / 100 m but it became too hard such that I couldn't get through the initial 5. Afterwards the pool I used closed so I didn't continue this training, but I am looking to resume it when the pool reopens again next week. I will take a 1500 m T/T the first time I get back to the pool. I consider that a pace is too easy if I can complete all 30 reps without a failure, and too hard if I can't get through the initial 5. How should I identify my initial goal time? Is directly using the 1500 m T/T pace good enough, or should I reduce a few seconds? And if I need to level up, how many seconds should I take away for each 100 m? I am currently targeting my 1500 m speed in these few months, however eventually I will need to race for 5 km a few months later, and 15 km next year, and will need to modify the workout for that? Does anyone have any hints or should I return to traditional training by then? I want to build up my speed first, then endurance second, because I can swim for 5 - 7 km continuously without problem now, but at a very slow speed (around 2 hours for 5 km).
Parents
  • Miklcct, As I read this thread, I think you are mixing concepts. As I read articles on the internet, they are mixing concepts. USRPT is meant to be short distance (25s), all out sprints with recovery time. 30 x 100 with 20 secs rest is just someone's extrapolation to middle-distance swimming and does not really fit into USRPT. Not true. Rushall does suggest 100s for USRPT. See for example: coachsci.sdsu.edu/.../ultra40a.pdf Dr. Rushall created "Ultra-short Race-pace Training" (USRPT) to exploit this unique physiology. He did so on the basis of scientific studies validating the Principle of Specificity in swimming-studies demonstrating that the energetics and technical skills of a particular race are specific to the velocity of the race. Accordingly, USRPT excludes anything, like kickboard kicking, that is not race-specific for stroke, distance, pace, technique, and mental readiness. The sets comprise serially repeated short sprints, on 15 to 20-second rest intervals, typically 25s at 100 race-pace, 50s at 200 race-pace, and 100s at 1500 race-pace.
  • Miklcct, As I read this thread, I think you are mixing concepts. As I read articles on the internet, they are mixing concepts. USRPT is meant to be short distance (25s), all out sprints with recovery time. 30 x 100 with 20 secs rest is just someone's extrapolation to middle-distance swimming and does not really fit into USRPT. Not true. Rushall does suggest 100s for USRPT. See for example: coachsci.sdsu.edu/.../ultra40a.pdf Dr. Rushall created "Ultra-short Race-pace Training" (USRPT) to exploit this unique physiology. He did so on the basis of scientific studies validating the Principle of Specificity in swimming-studies demonstrating that the energetics and technical skills of a particular race are specific to the velocity of the race. Accordingly, USRPT excludes anything, like kickboard kicking, that is not race-specific for stroke, distance, pace, technique, and mental readiness. The sets comprise serially repeated short sprints, on 15 to 20-second rest intervals, typically 25s at 100 race-pace, 50s at 200 race-pace, and 100s at 1500 race-pace.
Children
No Data