USRPT training - how should I identify goal time?

Former Member
Former Member
I am going to add some USRPT training later because I love the idea of fast feedback. I tried a set last October, with target time 2'5" / 100 m (5 seconds faster than the pace on a recent 1500 m T/T) (although not strictly in adherence because I started every 2'20" instead of 2'25" for 20 seconds rest) and within a week I pushed my first failure from 8 to completing all 30, requiring me to "level up". I tried reducing the target time by 5 seconds / 100 m but it became too hard such that I couldn't get through the initial 5. Afterwards the pool I used closed so I didn't continue this training, but I am looking to resume it when the pool reopens again next week. I will take a 1500 m T/T the first time I get back to the pool. I consider that a pace is too easy if I can complete all 30 reps without a failure, and too hard if I can't get through the initial 5. How should I identify my initial goal time? Is directly using the 1500 m T/T pace good enough, or should I reduce a few seconds? And if I need to level up, how many seconds should I take away for each 100 m? I am currently targeting my 1500 m speed in these few months, however eventually I will need to race for 5 km a few months later, and 15 km next year, and will need to modify the workout for that? Does anyone have any hints or should I return to traditional training by then? I want to build up my speed first, then endurance second, because I can swim for 5 - 7 km continuously without problem now, but at a very slow speed (around 2 hours for 5 km).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I still do not think someone of your ability level should be trying to pound out 30x100 :20 RI at race pace, especially not on a regular basis. What will happen if I try to do it twice a week? USRPT is the training method which can give me the most motivation because I can see if I can get improvement literally every session, like playing computer games. USRPT encourages me to push my limit, while traditional training teaches me pacing well, and now my main focus is speed over anything else.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I still do not think someone of your ability level should be trying to pound out 30x100 :20 RI at race pace, especially not on a regular basis. What will happen if I try to do it twice a week? USRPT is the training method which can give me the most motivation because I can see if I can get improvement literally every session, like playing computer games. USRPT encourages me to push my limit, while traditional training teaches me pacing well, and now my main focus is speed over anything else.
Children
No Data