Training choices

Just a quick question: is it reasonable (ok, no it’s not, but is is possible) to train for swim meets (i.e. 1650 & 500 free) and long distance open water (5-10K+) swims simultaneously? I’ve got YMCA nationals and a 7mile “Swim Around Lido Key” within two weeks of each other!!
Parents
  • Absolutely! Which one is first? Which one is your primary focus? You'll be surprised as you build up your distance for the OW swim that the times for your shorter distances will come down. I'd suggest on your long weekend swims to do blocks of 500s or do some pyramids 100-200-300-400-500 and back down again to build your endurance. Coach Emily's High Volume workouts on the workouts threads are really good for building distance and long speed.
  • Absolutely! Which one is first? Which one is your primary focus? You'll be surprised as you build up your distance for the OW swim that the times for your shorter distances will come down. I'd suggest on your long weekend swims to do blocks of 500s or do some pyramids 100-200-300-400-500 and back down again to build your endurance. Coach Emily's High Volume workouts on the workouts threads are really good for building distance and long speed.
Children
No Data