Goggle magnification causes early flip turn and a missed wal

Anyone else notice their googles make the wall appear closer than it really is? I use 2 different models of Speedo and they both do it. It is especially troublesome in a 50 free sprint and I have only gotten toes on the wall in 3 of my last 4 50s.
Parents
  • It might be the pool and not the goggles. As JPEnge says, you should eventually get use to the goggles if you wear the same kind consistently. When you change pools, however, the water depth, where the T and + are painted, the presence or absence of a bulkhead, the lighting, and other factors can change the apparent distance to the wall. At a meet it is especially important to warmup in the competition pool, ideally at race pace and in the lane in which you expect to race, to figure out the turn cues.
  • It might be the pool and not the goggles. As JPEnge says, you should eventually get use to the goggles if you wear the same kind consistently. When you change pools, however, the water depth, where the T and + are painted, the presence or absence of a bulkhead, the lighting, and other factors can change the apparent distance to the wall. At a meet it is especially important to warmup in the competition pool, ideally at race pace and in the lane in which you expect to race, to figure out the turn cues.
Children
No Data