Hi. First post! Question about time off for high school swim

Former Member
Former Member
Hello. I found this forum while searching for an answer to my question. My son is a 14 year old high school swimmer and has just completed his meet season. He did not make state finals, so at the current time he is not swimming (or working on dry lands). The coach is focused on the kids who made it to state and they are currently swimming. My concern is that while he has made some huge improvements, how long is too long out of the pool? I encouraged him to start running for 30-45 minutes but compared to the 3-4 hours a day he was in the pool it doesn’t seem like enough. From my understanding he will be out for 3-4 weeks total. I just hate to see him lose the edge he’s worked so hard for.
Parents
  • He is not in any other sports in school. The swim program here is just swim, not athletics where they can participate in track, baseball etc., so other than what we’re doing at home, he has no other conditioning time. Their high school team has a tough regime and they swim all year long (other than kids that don’t make state and are sitting out right now). Huh, that's quite unusual. High school sports in most states have a regulated season length. For example, a typical boys' HS swim season is from around the middle of November to the end of February. Very interesting that high school swim teams in Texas can train year round, though this confirms it: www.uiltexas.org/.../2018-19_TENTATIVE_Sport_Season_Dates_and_Game__Tournament_Limits.pdf
  • He is not in any other sports in school. The swim program here is just swim, not athletics where they can participate in track, baseball etc., so other than what we’re doing at home, he has no other conditioning time. Their high school team has a tough regime and they swim all year long (other than kids that don’t make state and are sitting out right now). Huh, that's quite unusual. High school sports in most states have a regulated season length. For example, a typical boys' HS swim season is from around the middle of November to the end of February. Very interesting that high school swim teams in Texas can train year round, though this confirms it: www.uiltexas.org/.../2018-19_TENTATIVE_Sport_Season_Dates_and_Game__Tournament_Limits.pdf
Children
No Data