Which techsuit should I wear?

Former Member
Former Member
I have 2 techsuits and don't know which one to wear for my high school state champs. One is a TYR Avictor Venom size 25 (closed back, don't know if it matters) and the other is a Speedo LZR Pro size 23. Im a size 24 in techsuits. I got the TYR only used once for a great deal, so no returns. The TYR is also slightly to big, almost no stomach compression. I haven't tried on the Speedo yet (I know I need to, just haven't had time), but I'm expecting it to be really really tight. If I can squeeze my big butt into the Speedo without ripping it which suit should I wear. I know the TYR is a better suit but is slightly to big and the Speedo is not as good but is really tight. I also have USA swimming champs coming up in a month or 2 and will need a tech suit for that. So I was wondering what a more knowledgeable/experienced swimmer would do. Thanks! :)
  • WELL - you need to try the other one on! Tighter is better as long as you don't blow out when you bend for the start!
  • Which meet do you care about more? Wear the better suit (probably the LZR Pro if it gives compression and the TYR doesn't) for that meet.
  • ML - Since you said the TYR was too big, try on the Speedo. If it fits, that's what you should use. If it doesn't (or rips out), then it's time for a new TYR! Good luck with your championships!
  • Martha - What does your coach think? She/He will have a much better idea of what works for you than we will. I assume both are knee suits. Having said that, my experience both wearing your kind of suit (before they were banned for men) and coaching high school/college girls for 20+ yrs suggests that too tight (especially around the legs) is not good. So, the TYR is going to be a better suit for you. The most effective aspect of these suits is not stomach compression - it is reducing drag from the hips and along the thighs. Even if it feels a little too big, as long as it is not baggy and allowing water to scoop from the chest area (or in the back above your butt), you will be fine. My vote is for the TYR - based only on your description and knowing nothing more about your physical structure. Good luck in the meets. Paul
  • This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose around having the tightest fit possible. I can see wehre some compression makes sense, but does it make it so you have a harder time breathing or straps digging in so hard it hurts to move? And if it's to make you more streamlined, unless you're already super fit or a stick, it seems like you're just squishing things so that there are rolls outside the fabric where flesh is pushed out? I know this sounds funny, but I'm asking a genuine question of why so tight?
  • compression, a tight suit will make you thinner, but you gotta be able to breathe and move forums.usms.org/showthread.php