What does she have that I don't?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Everyone, It's not my first time posting here (had different names I can't even remember) but I still trying to find a way to be able to swim many laps without having to stop for a few minutes after a few. I have seen it all/read it all/tried it all to no avail. I have been suspecting that it has to do with my technique/breathing/muscle endurance/or all of these. I am a technical hermit and I can say that I have pretty good technique. Have been taking 1 on 1 coaching (I want to do that again by joining a swimming club that teaches recreational swimmers like myself). I've got many compliments as to my style. I can swim all strokes. When swimming freestyle I have high elbow, good DPS, etc. I have read tons of articles, watched days of tutorial videos, bought fins, pull buoy. I am fairly athletic, broad shoulders, lean and long (6'1") body I could go on and on for pages about my past with swimming and the things I have tried, but I won't. I wrote all these down so you get the picture a little bit of my background. The question: I have a coworker who is a girl, short (I'd say 5'5"), a bit overweight, but the firm kind and not full fat - but she is not athletic at all just by looking at her. Although she was a member of an elite Hungarian jump-rope team. She went all over the world (World Jump Rope where they won several golds,etc.), so she is/was good at it. So this girl started swimming just recently and she can swim 1000 meters without stopping (mainly breasts, but free/back too) whereas I swim for years now and can hardly swim 200 meters before I have to stop. Also after a little preparation she was able to run the Marathon last year. again, she is not athletic and no one would pick her out of a line to run the Marathon... Her resting pulse is like 40. What is it that she has and I don't? What do I have to work on? I kinda know it: endurance, cardiovascular strength, but I would like others to say it. Sorry for the words I used when talking about her, but I had to be descriptive. Thanks
Parents
  • Those who've suggested stroke improvement, and the like...they are great suggestions for someone who would be suffering from poor stroke technique, or someone looking to improve time over longer distances. But re-read the OP. He stated that he's had numerous one-on-one coaching sessions; watched and followed hours of tutorials; has good form; and has even received complements on his stroke technique. It would seem that his current stroke would be more than sufficient to enable him to swim more than 200 meter without stopping. Again, I would suggest that it is a simple matter of improving/increasing endurance using the same good form that he indicated he has. That's a slow, gradual process. Dan
  • Those who've suggested stroke improvement, and the like...they are great suggestions for someone who would be suffering from poor stroke technique, or someone looking to improve time over longer distances. But re-read the OP. He stated that he's had numerous one-on-one coaching sessions; watched and followed hours of tutorials; has good form; and has even received complements on his stroke technique. It would seem that his current stroke would be more than sufficient to enable him to swim more than 200 meter without stopping. Again, I would suggest that it is a simple matter of improving/increasing endurance using the same good form that he indicated he has. That's a slow, gradual process. Dan
Children
No Data