records question

If two swimmers break the National Record in a race, do they both get credit for breaking the record, or only the one who finished first? I know for World Records it is only the one who finishes first, but I am not sure for USMS records.
Parents
  • ... 3) You go second and swim faster than your rival. Your rival was the record holder immediately upon completion of his/her swim, but you became the new record holder upon completion of your swim. Your rival didn't hold the record very long, but was, briefly, the record holder. I am a victim of just this scenario... only it happened in the same meet, different heats. I was the "rival", however and my school record only held for 10 minutes! Still... fun while it lasted!
  • ... 3) You go second and swim faster than your rival. Your rival was the record holder immediately upon completion of his/her swim, but you became the new record holder upon completion of your swim. Your rival didn't hold the record very long, but was, briefly, the record holder. I am a victim of just this scenario... only it happened in the same meet, different heats. I was the "rival", however and my school record only held for 10 minutes! Still... fun while it lasted!
Children
No Data