records question

If two swimmers break the National Record in a race, do they both get credit for breaking the record, or only the one who finished first? I know for World Records it is only the one who finishes first, but I am not sure for USMS records.
Parents
  • I guess this may just be my opinion. But as I see it, the instant that the winner of the event touches the wall in their record-breaking performance, their performance/time becomes the new record/time (barring DQ, drug testing, ratification, etc). Regardless of their time, the second place finisher is not a record breaker...just second on the list. Of course if it's something like a multi-national event and the winner breaks whatever multi-national record, and the second place (or subsequent) finisher breaks their country's national record. Dan
  • I guess this may just be my opinion. But as I see it, the instant that the winner of the event touches the wall in their record-breaking performance, their performance/time becomes the new record/time (barring DQ, drug testing, ratification, etc). Regardless of their time, the second place finisher is not a record breaker...just second on the list. Of course if it's something like a multi-national event and the winner breaks whatever multi-national record, and the second place (or subsequent) finisher breaks their country's national record. Dan
Children
No Data