Getting my swim strength after back injury

Former Member
Former Member
Not 100% sure this is the best place for advice. However, I’ve yet to find another forum. I am 45/F, used to swim competitively from Jr High - early college. The work and life got in the way. Five years ago I injured my back and now have disc degeneration in my lower back. Two years ago I got back in the pool and eventually went from 2 laps to 50 (25 yard pool). Then really got to feeling better about my swim and back after a year of sticking to it. Then work got in the way again and I didn’t put in the time like I did for a year and had another disc blow out. So on 11/20/18 I had a back surgery and 12/19 made it back in the pool. I’ve been swimming every day since aside from one day off each week. I am starting over again, can only get to about 850 yards and (3) sets of 15 ladder pools before I run Out of gas. Today, after my swim, my whole body is aching. I swim at my gym pool, which is indoors and at about 77*. This brings me to these boards looking for advice. Am I doing too much at once? And any other suggestions you have are appreciated!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Ha! Thanks Karl. I was really annoyed by this guy who reminded me of the out of shape chubby lineman from my HS football team. When they got in trouble, their coach made them swim laps and he was dying after just one lap. I was just complaining to a fellow swim girl I met at the swim store today. Turns out she goes to my gym, we just go at different locations, and she is going to meet me tomorrow and see what my form looks like and give me some advice. Something tells me I’m sagging something in my back or gut when I swim? And I just noticed auto correct changed psyche to psycho! even though for me, there isn’t much difference! :bliss:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Ha! Thanks Karl. I was really annoyed by this guy who reminded me of the out of shape chubby lineman from my HS football team. When they got in trouble, their coach made them swim laps and he was dying after just one lap. I was just complaining to a fellow swim girl I met at the swim store today. Turns out she goes to my gym, we just go at different locations, and she is going to meet me tomorrow and see what my form looks like and give me some advice. Something tells me I’m sagging something in my back or gut when I swim? And I just noticed auto correct changed psyche to psycho! even though for me, there isn’t much difference! :bliss:
Children
No Data