Length of training before competing

Good morning! I have a question for any other US Masters swimmers. How long did you train before going back to compete again at meets? Did you jump right back into both or did you take a couple of years go get fully back into the swing of things? I have been out of the water for around 15 years, been back in for about a year but feel I am progressing slowly but surely. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I started swimming again seriously about a year ago, with 1st meet in Feb. of this year, and 2nd meet last weekend. Depending on what you want to swim, I'd say meet tomorrow if short distance, and I took a year since I started long distance as was a little worried about my heart rate when swimming hard. I had not swam competitively since 22. I started again last year at 52. I did not start swimming again with any intention of competing in masters. No kids around now so thought I'd work on my health. Started out 1 mile per morning. Monitored my BP / resting pulse / weight each day. Lost 1 lb. per week for first 20 weeks. Was happy with progress, weight loss from 195 to 175, improved BP, heart rate. Relaxed at work, blah blah blah..... Then found out that the lady that coaches the kids swim club were I swim also has a masters team, is an incredible masters swimmer, state records and all, and has a Sat. AM drop in pay as you go group since I can't get to practices from where I work during the week. I'm up to swimming 4000 M-F AM on my own, and with her team on Saturdays. I'm going to add PM practices and weights after the results of my last meet. I will now happily die trying to swim: 1. A sub 6:00 minute 500 free again 2. fast enough to catch anybody ahead of us in our heat during relays You have been warned. Masters meets are fun. REALLY FUN! ps. Watched a 53 year old guy swim a 50.79 in the final heat of the mens 100 free SCY state championship last weekend. That was as fun as watching Dressel vs. Andrew for me. All 8 swimmers under 51 secs. So even though I never win anything there, watching people my age go that fast is also a good motivational reason to go to a meet.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I started swimming again seriously about a year ago, with 1st meet in Feb. of this year, and 2nd meet last weekend. Depending on what you want to swim, I'd say meet tomorrow if short distance, and I took a year since I started long distance as was a little worried about my heart rate when swimming hard. I had not swam competitively since 22. I started again last year at 52. I did not start swimming again with any intention of competing in masters. No kids around now so thought I'd work on my health. Started out 1 mile per morning. Monitored my BP / resting pulse / weight each day. Lost 1 lb. per week for first 20 weeks. Was happy with progress, weight loss from 195 to 175, improved BP, heart rate. Relaxed at work, blah blah blah..... Then found out that the lady that coaches the kids swim club were I swim also has a masters team, is an incredible masters swimmer, state records and all, and has a Sat. AM drop in pay as you go group since I can't get to practices from where I work during the week. I'm up to swimming 4000 M-F AM on my own, and with her team on Saturdays. I'm going to add PM practices and weights after the results of my last meet. I will now happily die trying to swim: 1. A sub 6:00 minute 500 free again 2. fast enough to catch anybody ahead of us in our heat during relays You have been warned. Masters meets are fun. REALLY FUN! ps. Watched a 53 year old guy swim a 50.79 in the final heat of the mens 100 free SCY state championship last weekend. That was as fun as watching Dressel vs. Andrew for me. All 8 swimmers under 51 secs. So even though I never win anything there, watching people my age go that fast is also a good motivational reason to go to a meet.
Children
No Data