Length of training before competing

Good morning! I have a question for any other US Masters swimmers. How long did you train before going back to compete again at meets? Did you jump right back into both or did you take a couple of years go get fully back into the swing of things? I have been out of the water for around 15 years, been back in for about a year but feel I am progressing slowly but surely. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • I think it’s never too early to start trying to race to see where you are at in your training. I swam my first meet three months after starting my comeback. It wasn’t pretty! But after that I tried to do some sort of quality/race set every weekend that I didn’t race in an actual meet. The more racing you can do, the better! (This is coming from someone who likes to be able to compete at a level approaching what I did 10-12 years ago, so not sure what you are looking to get out of competing.)
  • I think it’s never too early to start trying to race to see where you are at in your training. I swam my first meet three months after starting my comeback. It wasn’t pretty! But after that I tried to do some sort of quality/race set every weekend that I didn’t race in an actual meet. The more racing you can do, the better! (This is coming from someone who likes to be able to compete at a level approaching what I did 10-12 years ago, so not sure what you are looking to get out of competing.)
Children
No Data