Not eating after swim practice

Former Member
Former Member
This could be a misconception of mine but I always thought swimmers should be ravenous after swim practice. My son (13) swims for 2-2.5 hours and does not want to eat dinner after practice. He eats about 30 minutes before he leaves for practice but it's not a huge meal. Most days he skips dinner and goes to sleep without eating anything. I am concerned because 1. shouldn't he re-fuel his body after practice? and 2. not sure he is getting enough nutrition to sustain the level of effort that is needed. At the same time I want to trust his body to let him know when and how much he needs to eat. When I ask him he will say he is not hungry. Any advice?
Parents
  • Something else I thought of... When my now college-aged son was in middle school and h.s., he played youth, and then on the h.s. hockey team. Since grade school he'd been prescribed Concerta for attention deficit (without the hypertension factor). He only took it once a day, as he would be leaving for school. But, he frequently wouldn't eat his lunch because he said the meds suppressed his appetite. That, in turn, caused him to frequently feel weak during hockey practices right after school because his most recent meal was breakfast eight hours earlier. Obviously your son's issue is much different. I only say all this only to point out that IF/perhaps your son is on some medication it might be affecting his appetite....depending on when he takes it. Dan
  • Something else I thought of... When my now college-aged son was in middle school and h.s., he played youth, and then on the h.s. hockey team. Since grade school he'd been prescribed Concerta for attention deficit (without the hypertension factor). He only took it once a day, as he would be leaving for school. But, he frequently wouldn't eat his lunch because he said the meds suppressed his appetite. That, in turn, caused him to frequently feel weak during hockey practices right after school because his most recent meal was breakfast eight hours earlier. Obviously your son's issue is much different. I only say all this only to point out that IF/perhaps your son is on some medication it might be affecting his appetite....depending on when he takes it. Dan
Children
No Data